Our primary objective during construction is to minimise the impact of works on our neighbours, the local community, nearby businesses and passengers, staff and other users of the station. Drawing on our experience of delivering The Shard and London Bridge Quarter, where we completed a challenging construction schedule on time with no disruptions to transport services (Northern line, Jubilee line, the rail network and bus routes) or to operations at Guy’s Hospital, we will work to ensure that the scheme is delivered as efficiently and as safely as possible, while meeting the needs of our neighbours and partners.
Construction: Phase 1 - August 2016 to June 2017
Phase 1 includes:
- Mobilisation – including construction of site boundary and hoardings;
- Set up compound on site B – set up temporary site offices and welfare facilities in Winsland Mews;
- Staged demolition of site B building – this will be followed by the demolition of the structures on site A and C;
- Piling – commence with piling to enable the excavation and construction of the new basement;
- Excavation and removal of earth spoil from site piling;
- Basement construction – construct new reinforced concrete basement;
- Enabling works for construction phase 2 – undertake carriageway widening works in London Street and construction temporary utility routes;
- Undertake capacity enhancement works to the existing London Underground access point in Praed Street.
Construction: Phase 2 - June 2017 to April 2018
Phase 2 includes:
- Re-configuring London Street – set up traffic and pedestrian management routes in London Street;
- Construct first section of new London Underground connection;
- Superstructure 1, 2 & 3 – construct the cores, floors and columns;
- Cladding – install cladding envelope on completed section of the superstructure in order to make the building weather tight.
Construction: Phase 3 - April 2018 to August 2020
Phase 3 includes:
- Divert London Street – set up traffic and pedestrian management routes in London Street;
- Fit out the main structures within the development;
- Construct second section of new London Underground connection in the northbound lane of London Street;
- Public realm works – complete the streetscape and urban realm works across the entire site, including access to Paddington Station.